BlindAid has a long and distinguished history and has earned an excellent reputation amongst both our service users and the professional organisations we work alongside.
We were established in 1834 and have been delivering services for over 175 years. Naturally throughout such a long period of time we have evolved and developed.
The charity was initially called the Indigent Blind Visiting Society (this was founded in 1834 by Lord Shaftesbury and Thomas Rhodes Armitage. Armitage is famous for introducing Braille into England and for being one of the founders of RNIB).
In June 2011 we rebranded from The Metropolitan Society for the Blind to BlindAid. Our new name allows us to build on our strong foundations and excellent reputation. We will now continue to develop and improve our Charity into the future. The quality of our service portfolio remains the same and going forward, our main objective is to increase the number of people we are able to visit and help.