The news that your sight is permanently damaged can be devastating. Once a doctor has made the diagnosis, most people feel distressed and uncertain about the future. Sound advice, emotional support and practical information are crucial ingredients to help anyone come to terms with their condition.
Our Early Support Service provides help when it’s most needed. We aim to meet people in hospital eye clinics either when patients are first diagnosed or soon afterwards. Working in St Thomas’ Hospital we offer:
- Emotional support
- Understanding how the eye condition will affect vision now and in the future
- Making the best use of any remaining sight
- Helping to identify the right visual aids and other equipment
- Referring to other services/charities who may also be helpful
- Developing a positive approach to living with sight loss.
We provide an information and advice service for patients using the eye clinic at St Thomas’s Hospital